Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Christmas with a little one

Wow, I'm finding out that Christmas is EVEN BETTER now that I have a child.  He is so in awe of "Tanta" (Santa), "Biche" (deer in french, reindeer), "Noman" (Snowman), "Weeeee" (sleds), "Bear" (bear in a present box decoration in someone's yard).  We've been getting right into the Christmas spirit with walks to see decorated houses, decorating our own house and other crafty projects.  A couple to highlight:

Taio's advent calendar.  I made a bunch of Christmas shapes with recycled paper, wrote a number on the front of each, placed a little treat inside and glue the edges.  The treats are things like:  stickers, small plastic animals and bugs, chocolate chips, cane juice gummy bears, raisins.  I then hung the little packages on a strand of yarn with clothes pegs.  I actually got the idea last year from a wonderful blog I follow: Bluebird Vintage.


Gingerbread Cookies.  I couldn't believe Taio's patience for this.  Being someone who is always on the go, I decided to embrace a day at home and make cookies.  Taio helped start to finish.  We made the dough, rolled and cut shapes all before he went down for a nap.  You should have seen the mess!  We had a fabulous time.  Taio was very good about waiting his turn for his different jobs (spreading flour on the counter, pressing in the shapes, pulling out the cookie cutter).  He even lifted a few off the counter with the flipper onto the cookie sheet.  After he woke up, I set him up at the table with little bowls of decorations and two colours of icing.  He used all sorts of different techniques:  sprinkle decorations with two fingers (while saying "sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle"); spoon full of decorations dumped on; flip the iced cookie upside down into sprinkles on the table and lift up.  When he started to lick his hands, we cleaned up and I bagged the cookies and tied with ribbon.  Taio's really enjoyed giving the cookies away to all of his friends.




















Animal Alphabet.  I also sketched alphabet letters with animals on separate squares of paper (oh man, that was a lot of drawing).  I then hung them with clothes pegs on a ribbon.  I'm going to give it to Taio for Christmas.  It will be for our 'new' art/play room in our 'new' house.  This Christmas we have kept the budget in check and its been a lot of fun making a few gifts and finding thrift items for Taio.  The most fun part is I'm not stressed about money and being a consumer.  Awesome.



To be honest, I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off accomplishing A LOT.  I think some of it stems from being pregnant and not being able to help Loic work on the house (he is so amazing... we are days away from being able to slow things down) as well as working full time and really feeling like I should be home with Taio.  I never did get used to dropping him off at a day home 4 days per week.  4 1/2 weeks of work and time away from Taio left!  Oh, its going to be so nutso and I'm sure there will be days where I'm wishing I could get a break.
(I had to sneak this last pic in.  With our 'new' house, we have a kids play area under the back deck.  We hung a swing a few weeks ago).

No comments: