Tuesday, 13 February 2007

Discovering new terrain in the foggy Rockies

Tess and I busted out of Edmonton early saturday morning all the way to chickadee valley in Kootenay National Park. The skiing was good considering the lack of substantial fresh snow but nice turns were had and we manage to find some undisturbed spots even with our late start. It is definitely a spot we'll go back to. A 12 hr sleep in the louise hostel gave us the rejuvenation needed for day two. I was keen to try this new valley I have had my eye on from the icefield parkway, but low lying fog made it impossible to see where we should stop or in what direction to head from the highway. We settle on heading up what I think is one of the routes up towards cirque peak, but instead of ascended too high we lapped some slopes 20 min from the car. There was good ankle deep snow over a very stable consolidated base, and this made for some very fun turns. We skinned and skied a couple times past three well camouflaged ptarmigans that were keeping avy watch for us in the gully! Unfortunately I forgot my camera at home and have no pictures of the birds or the skiiing.

An adventurous ski out down the creek found me on some rocks and partially in the water. It all worked out in the end and it was a beautiful way to get down.

No comments: