Sunday, 29 January 2012

Burger Night!

It's true, most of our blog posts are about adventure sports or Taio's newest accomplishments, this one is different.  It is not to say that Tess and I didn't do an xc race at Telemark yesterday (handing Taio off as our relay baton), or that Tess isn't touring today on her new skis, or that Taio has pulled himself up on chairs and loves to walk holding your hands to explore (to the anger of our lower backs!).  This post is about how when you play hard, eating well is essential!

In general I am totally spoiled.  With Tess home with Taio, this last nine months have been fantastic on the dinner front -ready when I get home and always something delicious: african stews, Indian curries and all sorts of Mexican goodness are staples.  Even with all those great exotic flavours it is still a feast to have a good wholesome burger night!  In our house this gets slightly more interesting.  I will pull out my organic beef or lamb and make some fat patties with spices like cumin or paprika and lots of onions and garlic.  Tess, being a pescatarian, will either make a salmon burger, lentil burger or the latest was one with carrots and potato and squash (I think?).  Add some guacamoli, fresh veggies, cheese, tatziki or other toppings and maybe some roasted veggies on the side and you have a feast!


Taio of course will eat anything you put in front of him.  He really enjoys the burgers are they are easy for him to break pieces off and chew.  The veggie burgers always seem to be the messy ones but he doesn't seem to mind.


As all ski touring folk out there, (I think at least) it is always fun to plan your next feast on the last skin of the day -just when you are craving a big meal and a tasty refreshing beverage!

No comments: