Monday, 6 December 2010

First Weekend in Roger's Pass


It has been a while since I toured in Roger's pass. Last year I didn't go once which was very weird. I was excited to go and check out some new terrain even though the snowpack is at early November levels. Yannick, Jonas and I left Kelowna at 4:30 Saturday morning to make the most of the day. We were skinning from the hotel by shortly after 8. Our first goal was to get up Video peak as it's somewhere I've always looked at but never gone. By 11:30 we were up on the summit. It had been skied in but there was still some good snow to be had. I got first hit but tried for some new snow and my second turn resulted in finding a hidden rock and crashing! The rest of the run I was stressed about hitting another rock so it wasn't my best.



Yannick and Jonas went skiers right along the ridge and as you can see in the pics, it was nice! Jonas still managed a quality core shot. We cruised the low angle basin and then jumped on the ridge and up to the 8812 col. This had also been skied by about a dozen but there is so much room in there and it proved to be a great run down to valley bottom. The views all day were amazing with an inversion giving a sea of clouds in the valley bottom. We burned the ski out and were have burgers and beers before we knew it.

Sunday we decided to get another fairly early start and head up the Asulkan valley. In all the days I've done in the Pass I had never been up this valley! I was excited to have a strong group and I new we could get some good recon for later in the season. With the low snow pack we knew that we would be restricted. We left the parking lot and as soon as we passed the old hotel site it was feeling really cold. Yannick tested the air temp and it was at a chilly -16.5!! We kept the snack breaks short and moved up the valley. We got to the hut and into the sun which made a huge difference. It's quite the haul up there and it would be long with a full pack. We had a good lunch in the cabin and then decided to head up towards the Young's peak headwall. We followed a skin track all the way up and watch two people boot pack up the head wall on the far right and then ski down. The skiing sounded scrapy! We decided to stop right at the bottom of the headwall and ski the pitches down towards the large knob that might be called Pterodactyl?? We had spotted a line on the way up and managed to walk some rocks and traverse and hit the line bang on! The line was steep and a lot longer than it looked from the top! The legs burned past the happy amount but it wasn't the type of pit you wanted to stop in!! It was a great way to come down. After some survival skiing back down to the creek we trudged out. The last road section felt long. Wicked weekend!


See my pictures here. Yannick and Jonas have some too. It was hard not to upload too many!!

1 comment:

Steve @ Union said...

Awesome TR! Looks like a lot of fun, I will have to make it up there shortly!