Thursday, 10 June 2010

Cow Trail Classic!! Merrit XC Race

A group of us went down to Merritt for the Cow Trail Classic. The race course has been moved from the Coutlee Plateau to the Lumbum Lake area due to the pine beetle and subsequent logging at the old race site. Most of us went down Saturday to pre ride the course which was a good thing since the one that didn't missed a turn and had to back track!!! The course was tricky though not technical. The climbs we mainly double track and the downs were curvy through a mix of open grassland and forest. Some of the actual "cow trail" sections were sketch with the narrow deep rutted trail with over grown grasses! The "surprise" boulders lurking in the grasses along the sides were the cause for some good crashes.

For me, my goal was to have a "happy" race, consisting of clean riding and good pacing. The first is just mental and I kept my focus even under fatigue and rode the course clean. As for the pacing I decided to pace off of Ian as I knew he is disciplined and I figured about my speed. As it turns out I road the last 2/3rds of the course on Ian's wheel! I think we both pushed eachother without getting into blowup territory and finished in the top ten with a decent time. Looking back when you race without any major breakdowns (body wise) you always figure you could have gone faster. I think I could have perhaps on Sunday but it was wicked to cross the line without just wanting to curl up on the grass!

Thanks to Ian for the pacing and Brad for letting me race his Marin all spring!!

Congrats to Mark, Matt and Peter who all had awesome races!!

No comments: